Weight Management Guidelines
Good nutrition is the foundation of a healthy lifestyle. We need the nutrients found in our foods for our bodies to
function normally. What we eat plays a role in how we look, feel and perform daily tasks.
Sadly, the environment we live in does not make it very easy to make healthy food choices. High fat, high sugar, high calorie
foods are convenient, cheap and tasty. Healthy food choices are often frowned upon and thought of as time consuming,
costly and not appetizing. Not only do we need to change our eating habits to improve our health, we need to change
our attitudes about our eating habits.
It often helps to make changes one-step at a time. However, before we can work on making changes, it is good to know what
habits we have that need to change and what new habits we need to adopt. A food diary is a useful tool that helps us
study our eating habits and shape our goals.
Below is a summary of overall healthy eating habits for weight management.
- Limit calories from non-nutritious foods (sweets, salty snacks, etc.);
- Eat a variety of foods each day (use the Food Guide Pyramid as a guide);
- Avoid skipping meals;
- Do not go longer than 4 to 5 hours without eating;
- Eat 5-6 small balanced meals per day;
- Try to keep the amount of food at meals consistent;
- Use less added fats, especially saturated fat;
- Use less added salt;
- Limit alcoholic beverages to no more than one per day.