Housing | Miami University
Advanced Search    


Picture of 20121203_152529

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When are housing and roommate assignments announced?
A. All housing and roommate information is e-mailed in late July.

Q. Are there elevators in the Residence Halls?
A. There are service (freight) elevators in most Residence Halls. They are only available for use by students who have a medical need and are unable to use the stairs.

Q. Is it necessary to purchase property insurance?
A. The University does not assume responsibility for the loss of money or valuables, damages to property or injuries on the premises. If the Student is not covered by a Parent/Guardian homeowner's insurance policy, it is strongly recommended that insurance arrangements are made to protect against such losses.

Q. Are pets allowed?
A. Except for goldfish or other tropical fish, no pets are permitted in the Residence Halls. Tank size should not exceed 5 gallons, and aquarium heaters are prohibited.

Q. How is mail delivered?
A. US mail will be delivered to locked mail boxes which are located in or near the lobby of each residence hall. Each room in the building will have its own box. Packages, large-sized items, and registered mail are delivered to the University Mailroom in Wells Hall. You will be notified by email if you have a package to be picked up.

Q. What should I bring to campus?
A. Here are some typical things that students bring:
  • Around Campus
    • Backpack/Messenger Bag
    • Bicycle
    • Umbrella
  • Bath items
    • Hair Dryer
    • Mesh Sponge
    • Shower Shoes
    • Shower Tote
    • Toiletries
    • Towels/Washcloths
  • Entertainment
    • Camera
    • Radio/Stereo
    • TV
  • Kitchen-type items
    • Bottle/Can opener
    • Bowls
    • Chip clips
    • Cups
    • Glasses
    • Microwave (700 watts or less)
    • Silverware
  • Laundry
    • High Efficiency Detergent
    • Fabric Spray
    • Hangers
    • Iron
    • Laundry Bag/Pop-up Basket
  • Room
    • 3-to-2 prong adapters
    • Alarm Clock
    • Batteries
    • Bed Sheets (Extra Long 80" Twin Sheets)
    • Blanket
    • Boot Tray
    • Carpet
    • Comforter/Duvet
    • Desk Set Organizer and supplies
    • Dry Erase Message Board
    • UL Approved Power Strips
    • Fan
    • First-aid Kit
    • Flashlight
    • Full Length Mirror
    • Lamp
    • Pillows & Pillow Cases
    • Posters/Decorations
    • "S" Hooks
    • Shoe Rack
    • Storage Boxes
    • Surge Protectors
  • Personal items
    • Hair care appliances
    • Medicine & Vitamins
    • Sewing Kit
    • Sleep mask
    • Tissues
    • Vanity Mirror
  • Study
    • Backrest
    • Computer Memory Stick/Flash Drive
    • Computer
    • Computer Cables
    • Headrest pillow or Chair Pillow
    • Printer
    • Study Supplies (Pens & Pencils)

Q. What does Miami provide to on campus students?
  • Twin XL Bed
  • Desk and Chair
  • Dresser
  • Closet
  • Mirror
  • Towel Rack
  • Wastebasket/Trash Bags
  • Basic Cable
  • Window shades
  • High-Speed Wired & Wireless Internet
  • Cleaning Supplies (available upon request)
  • Light Bulbs (available upon request)
  • Vacuum (available upon request)
  • Power strip(s) in residence halls that have not yet received an electrical upgrade

Q: Can university provided furniture be removed from rooms?
A: Due to campus storage space limitations, requests to remove university provided furniture will not be honored. Students are discouraged from bringing their own furniture to campus. Typically, rooms can only safely accommodate the furnishings provided.

Q. What housing services are available to on campus students?
  • AC Rental
  • Laundry Service
  • Refrigerator Rental
  • Room Cleaning Service
  • Summer Storage

Q. What should I leave at home?
A. Due to the high risk of fire and damage in a communal environment, the following items are prohibited:
  • Candles
  • Coffee maker
  • Electric Blankets or Sheets
  • Electric Skillets
  • Hot Plates
  • Lofted Beds
  • Popcorn Poppers
  • Sun Lamps
  • Toaster Ovens
  • Water Beds

Q: What do I do if I would like to have a university provided telephone in my Residence Hall room?
A: You may contact the Office of Telecommunications. They will be able to assist you in subscribing to a land-line phone in your room, or a university-provided cell phone. You can find them online at www.muohio.edu/Telecom.

Q. How can I request a bedrail for my bed?
A. You can request a bedrail by submitting a Maintenance Repair Request on your MyCard account.

Q. Who do I contact if I have a question about my housing, meal plan, or other general concern?
A. The Office of Housing Options, Meals & Events (H.O.M.E.)

111 Shriver Center
Phone: (513) 529-5000
Email: home@MiamiOH.edu